Monday, August 9, 2010

Reflection paper

I arrived at UTA filled with anxiety, unknowing of what to expect, but with an open mind. On orientation day I met with a plethora of students from varying backgrounds, cultures and schools. This made me realize that the group I was about to work with, was going to be mind bogglingly diverse. We were introduced to professors from multiple disciplines, who all briefly described the type of research they were engaged in. This was my first opportunity to be part of a research community, and as the day wore on, I was able to also meet graduate students. Being in this project has allowed me to create invaluable friendships with both students and professors.


I was placed to work on the Effect of Extreme Event Loads on Structures project. I worked along with two other undergraduates. We worked under the instructions of Dr. Yazdani and the graduate student Tanvir Manzur, both of whom were very helpful throughout the entire course of the project. In the early stages of the project, much time was spent in the explanation of the research process after which our concentration switched gears to analytically assessing wind loads on structures. To accomplish this, we had to study parts of the ASCE 7 -05, a code of national standards. Many hours were spent reading and understanding the topic being researched in addition to being taught how to solve problems using a computer modeling program named RISA-3D.  The program allowed us to experiment with various materials and configurations, which in turn help alleviate the stresses on the structure being analyzed.


Workshops were impressive, having enlightened me as to the procedures involved in conducting research, and informing me of ethical quandaries in the engineering profession. I have become fascinated with the work that researchers do, and appreciate that most of it is done behind the scenes.
Excitement overwhelmed me when we began learning to model structures in RISA -3D. The program allows the user to experiment with varying materials and loads, therefore making it easy to model real-life situations. Another very important aspect is my having gained knowledge of the International Building Code and ASCE 7-05 which will undoubtedly be used again in my professional career. This exposure to programs and codes will prove helpful in my future classes.


The REU program has given me a fresh and incomparable experience. I have gained a vast amount of skill and knowledge. The opportunity to work so closely with students and professors, has allowed me to be a step ahead of my fellow students who have not been afforded this opportunity. The REU not only gave me engineering experience, but required me to create websites, presentations and posters. This was an ingenious way of allowing me to express my thoughts on the experience, while teaching me new skills that could be helpful throughout my career path.


Although being a great opportunity in itself, the REU has contributed positively to my personal development. The project has given me immeasurable knowledge and experience, which I am confident, will be helpful in my future endeavors. I am sure that the experience garnered will have placed me in an advantageous position and allow me to mentor my fellow Civil Engineering undergraduates. Being from a Caribbean country which is exposed to hurricanes I hope to use the information gathered to benefit the community from which I come. It has also helped me to understand better the dynamics involved in constructing structures which are exposed/prone to hurricanes.

I have yet to realize any detrimental effects from the REU and I highly doubt there are or will ever be any. Since this experience, I have a renewed desire to study civil engineering Overall I think the majority of my peers would say they have had as good an experience as I have. I agree with the attempt to try and diversify engineering, and I think it is an extraordinary venture. If my group represented the future of engineering, then the profession has a bright and diversified future.

No comments:

Post a Comment