Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Research Log

July 2 2010 – Today was orientation day where we met with the various faculties, graduate students and undergraduates. It seems that I am about to work with a very diversified and brilliant group.
July 6 2010 – Myself, along with the two other undergraduates, who were to work with me, met with the graduate student assigned to the project. He explained the project and gave us an overview of what were about to embark on.
July 7 2010 – I spent the day reading through the papers that were handed out on orientation day.
July 8 2010 – Received a lecture on the characteristics of wind and received a practice problem
July 9 2010 – I went to the graduate student to speak to him about books/articles that related to the topic we are investigating
July 12 2010 – I worked on a practice problem given on the 8th of July
July 13 2010 – We received a lecture on wind loads on ASCE standards. We also received chapter 6 of the ASCE 7 -05. Homework was given which utilized the ASCE 7 -05
July 14 2010 – I read parts of the ASCE 7 -05
July 15 2010 – We learned the simplified method of determining wind loads on structures and also for components and cladding. We also had an ethics workshop today.
July 16 2010 – I read parts of the ASCE 7 -05
July 19 2010 – Use the information from the ASCE 7 -05 to evaluate the wind loads on the structure  and its components and cladding using the simplified method
July 20 2010 – Today we learned the analytical method of determining wind loads on structures and components and cladding as defined by the ASCE 7 -05
July 21 2010 – I began to gather the information needed to use the analytical method
July 22 2010 – We received a lecture on design concepts for wooden structures.
July 23 2010 – I reviewed the lecture on wood structure design, because it intrigued me
July 26 2010 – I worked the problem given using the analytical method
July 27 2010 – We reworked and discussed the answer to the analytical method
July 28 2010 – I worked out the loads on components and cladding for a structure using the analytical method
July 29 2010 – A workshop regarding research training and graduate studies occupied most of the day. However, today I learned RISA 3D for the first time and we modeled a basic 2D structure
July 30 2010 – I determined the loads on the same structure done yesterday by hand and compared the results
August 2 2010 – Today I calculated the pressures that would act on a specific buildings components and cladding
August 3 2010 – I worked on RISA 3D and modeled a structure and applied various loads to it. We noticed that applying a cross bracing to the structure greatly diminished the effects of the pressures acting on it
August 4 2010 – I downloaded RISA 2D student edition and practiced modeling some structures
August 5 2010 – We had a lecture on tornadoes and various designs for buildings and safe rooms
August 6 2010 – I created my blog and began posting my work
August 9 2010 – This is the day before the end of the program and it has been an enjoyable experience. It is however crunch time and I am trying to finish all my work to hand in for tomorrow. I also worked on the presentation with my colleagues for presentation tomorrow
August 10 2010 – It is the morning of the final presentations and I am curious as to how the day will actually progress






No comments:

Post a Comment